Thursday, July 16, 2009
Haven't had time to sit down and stamp yet here on Moloka'i, but I did find some time today to do some watercoloring. I wanted to try a more traditional watercoloring of my Fifth Avenue Floral rose. The roses were all stamped on Shimmery White paper in Craft White ink, embossed with Crystal Clear embossing powder. This paper will create blotchy marks if you add too much ink in one spot, so I first took my aquapainter and lightly brushed across from one side of the image to the other with just water. I then took some ink from a reinker and, starting off the image in one corner, moved my aquapainter back and forth across the image, like you would for the watercolor wash technique, giving a gradient of color. I kept going back over areas of the image with the aquapainter, adding ink and first checking the color intensity on the edge of the paper before putting it onto my image. I probably spent at least five minutes on each rose, adding depth to the color without letting the aquapainter stay on any one spot too long. The orange rose does have one spot where the color bled through to the back, but I was able to cover it pretty well. All of the roses were colored with a single reinker color - one's Pumpkin Pie, one is Melon Mambo, one is Summer Sun, and the last is Rich Razzleberry (probably my favorite of the new In Colors). I spent the most time on the Razzleberry rose, so I decided to go back over the other three one more time to make some of the areas a little darker and richer in tone. The photo doesn't do the Razzleberry rose justice, as it looks more purple in the image than it does in real life. Now that they're dry, I hope to have some time tonight to make some cards using them!