Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mulberry Batik Classic Stars

I think I've finally decided on this card for my Mulberry Batik technique swap. I just got the Classic Stars Jumbo wheel and Stampin' Up!s large and small star punches, so I thought it might be fun to make something a little festive looking considering the 4th of July is just around the corner.

You can find a tutorial for the Mulberry Batik technique here. I chose to use Ruby Red, Blue Bayou, and Soft Sky as they coordinate so well with the Western Sky designer series paper that makes the background of my card. The striped Blue Bayou behind the batik is from the Blue Bayou designer series papers. I added the color by using a reinker and dabbing onto the mulberry paper with a sponge. The first time I tried it, I got the paper wet (probably a little too wet) and didn't like how much the colors bled through the larger fibers in the mulberry paper. The second time I skipped the getting the paper wet step and added ink directly to the mulberry paper. I like the results much better, although my colors are a little more vibrant as a result. The sentiment is from the Send a Celebration set I earned a few years back through SU!s Sell-A-Bration (now Sale-A-Bration) promotion, which I think nicely compliments the feel of the card. It was stamped first in Whisper White craft ink, then embossed using a detail white embossing powder I had. I hope the ladies enjoy making one next week!

No comments: