Monday, May 11, 2009

Watercolored Roses

Last night I decided to try the 'new' watercoloring technique that Patty Bennett recently posted on her blog, which I believe was demonstrated at a Stampin' Up! regional conference earlier this year. I stamped the rose from Fifth Avenue Floral onto Shimmery White paper using Whisper White Craft ink, then heat embossed using clear embossing powder. I spritzed the image liberally with water, and with an aquapainter, added some color (I used Pretty in Pink and Regal Rose reinkers). Mine didn't work as easily as the one Patty shows in her video tutorial, so when the water/ink was starting to dry, I pulled some of the puddled water/ink from one of the petals with my aquapainter and went back over a few areas of the rose to intensify the color a little. I think the problem was that I didn't get enough of an embossed image so I didn't get the channels as well as I saw on Patty's tutorial. Anyhow, I let it completely dry overnight, and after work tonight, this is what I came up with. I loved the shimmery striped paper Patty used from Taste of Textiles on some of her cards, so I did the same. I didn't want to copy her cards exactly, so I resisted the urge to look at hers while I was designing mine. The card base was stamped with Regal Rose using my all-time favorite, Itty Bitty Backgrounds, a technique I picked up from Kitty Caracciolo. After putting it all together, I'm thinking I should have either sponged Kiwi Kiss onto the leaves, or onto the Kiwi background. I think I'll try that next time around. Anyhow, it gave me a chance to use my oval scallop punch and Whisper White Organza ribbon. The sentiment comes from All Holidays and is stamped in Regal Rose. I think I'll offer this card to my stampers at my next stamp camp. Thanks for stopping by today!

No comments: